Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Home Front

I arrived back at Little Portion January 12: what a joy to come home! I love the feeling of my familiar bed, foods I like, and many friends. Feeling at home is something that I hope will be increasingly true wherever I go as I continue to visit the brothers around the world.


It is winter here. The deer are bolder as they seek food, and it is always a thrill to see them. Here they are on the labyrinth. The brothers hosted a labyrinth walk January 22, and a large crowd gathered for a potluck dinner, Taize Prayer service and many were able to walk the labyrinth, illuminated by the light of the moon: the wind kept blowing out the torches!

On a personal level, I was able to finish my farewell to Br. Jon Bankert, who died September 24. I made the grave marker. Jon was my novice guardian, and lived across the hall from me for many years. We traded books, commiserated over our troubles and shared our joys. He was a lovely supportive brother to me. His death from pancreatic cancer was an example to me of how to live faithfully and graciously right up to the last. A few days before he died he told me that he wanted to die at home, with his brothers. He did, just like St. Francis, stretched out on the floor, as we said the prayers at time of death.

Tomorrow I leave for the Solomon Islands. They are located down near Australia, just below the equator. Farewell winter!

No comments: